Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Summer Side Project: UGLY STICK bonus material!

Hi there, net friends!

As you probably know, unless this is your first visit to my site (if so, welcome!), my debut novel Ugly Stick was released on April 10.


 photo Applause-harry-potter.gif


Since then, I started my next big project (woohoo!),
attended the PennWriters annual writing conference (yessss!),
participated in my first book signing (huzzah!),
and learned how to embed GIFs into a blog.

(I think. I might have lucked out with Ron Weasley there.)

Anyway, I'm in the thick of marketing Ugly Stick right now, and it's a delightful, fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants learning experience. Well, most of the time. But I've realized that, while talking and writing so much about the book, I have really been missing the story and the characters themselves. It's hard to let go of the people you've imagined after you graduate them into the published world!

Really hard!


 photo Michelle-Frown-Full-House.gif


(Wow, I actually did get the hang of GIFs! I'm ready for 2010 now, guys!)

For those of you who've read the book (and if you haven't, ahem), you know it's a standalone story. I'm not going to pen a sequel, as much as I love April, Vivienne, and Ani. However...


 photo tumblr_lq3ashzqJl1qht847.gif


IF you've read the book, you know there are a lot of related stories in there: April's mother, grandmother, and so on, all the way back to the origins of the ugly stick itself. And in my opinion those stories deserve at least a little bit of telling.

So my side project this summer is just that: short tales of the women in April's family tree, spanning various ages, centuries, walks of life, and countries. There's a whole bunch of goodness in there, and I can't wait to dig it all out and polish it up!

Keep an eye on this site for the first story by the beginning of June. I plan to have enough shorts to put out a Ugly Stick companion e-book by the end of the summer. In the meantime, I will do my best to keep you posted on signings, promotions, and other events. And if YOU, brilliant reader, have any suggestions for stories you'd like to see told (something about a character or back story that stuck out to you in Ugly Stick), let me know! The best stories are interactive!

Until then, thanks for reading! I can't wait to share more work with you!


 photo tumblr_lq2qlltmFv1qht847.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment