Monday, August 8, 2011

Unconventional Storytelling

The focus of this blog is writing and words as used for storytelling.  I'm a self-professed word nerd, and I love old-fashioned written stories (and of course Disney films) more than just about anything.

HOWEVER --

I have recently come across a few unique forms of storytelling that have expanded, if not challenged, my viewpoint on how unconventional media can be used to artfully convey emotion, tension, and story.  I'd like to share these storytellings, in the hopes that you will enjoy them as much as I have.


GOOGLE SEARCH STORIES

Google ran this particular search story during the Superbowl, but since it's my favorite, I'm re-posting it.  I'd seriously like to shake the hand of whoever came up with this concept!  Taking a relatively new concept like web searches, and figuring out a way to tell entire, well-rounded, emotive stories (yes, most of them bring tears to my eyes)... it's brilliant.  And now, on Google's Youtube Channel, anyone can create his or her own search stories as well!




KSENIYA SIMONOVA

This storyteller also brought tears to my eyes the first time I watched this.  Simonova is a Ukrainian artist-of-all-trades who trained herself to animate in fine volcanic sand.  She was the winner of the "Ukraine's Got Talent" competition.  Her pivotal performance in the contest was this World War II love story, told to a nation greatly scarred by the twentieth-century wars. 

At first I was frustrated with how the cameras kept cutting away to members of the audience, but then I realized that their emotional reactions are a part of the story itself.  Take a few minutes and watch this:





If I can ever write stories with this depth and poignancy, I'll be a very happy person. 

What about you?  Do you favor any storytelling forms that are unconventional, yet effective?  If so, please let me know, and I'll add them to this post.  Until then, I'll just keep writing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment